Call to Artists
2019 Vancouver Island Miniature Masterpiece Art Show
Excellent Frameworks – Home of the EJ Hughes Gallery
2019 marks our third annual art show featuring miniature works of art for Excellent Frameworks Gallery, located in downtown Duncan, B.C. The show was initially created to give artists an opportunity to challenge themselves with this technique in an accessible way as Excellent Frameworks provides the framing for each work of art. We host the show during the month of December as we find this to be a celebratory season to not only gather artists, but also to increase sales for our artists. Last year we introduced a “People’s Choice Ribbon” as well as a “Best in Show Trophy.”
- One original work of art per artist created in the past year, not previously shown in the Cowichan Valley.
- Works of art should fit within the size of your palm with an emphasis on scale and technique. While we do not have a strict size policy on the outer dimensions, we suggest the palm size as a general guideline. We will not accept works that are not miniature in technique. (see below for more information)
- Unaccepted works of art – artists will be notified by November 22nd via phone or email.
- Commission of 40% will be deducted from sales. Payments will be issued by cheque January 13 to 17th, 2020, available to be picked up in person or mailed.
- All mediums accepted.
- Works submitted must be for sale. No exceptions.
- If you do not want your work marketed online, please specify this on the back of your piece with a label.
- Youth Entries (under 16): Works must fit within the dimensions of the frame chosen. Mailed in entries from youth must fit under 4” x 4”.
- Registration and free frame pickup August 6 – 31st
- Art Drop off November 12 – 15th with the frame selected in August. Please note that we will do all assembly, matboards, glass, etc as needed based on your medium.
- Artist Reception and Opening Saturday, November 31st 12pm to 3pm.
- Unsold works of art will be available for pickup January 13th to 17th
- Registration, artwork, and prepaid return envelope mailed by October 1st to:
c/o Excellent Frameworks Gallery
24 Station St. Duncan, B.C. V9L 1M4
- Online images will be available of the works in the show the first week of December.
- If you wish to keep the framing provided by Excellent Frameworks, and your piece does not sell during the show, please contact the gallery at 250-746-7112 or email@example.com to provide extra fee for shipping cost. Please note that we do not charge for the custom framing itself (our gift to you).
More little details (ahem):
- Palm-Sized or Smaller. Miniature art is about application and scale. Even if the artwork is “small” it will not qualify if the subject is not painstakingly smaller than life or the abstraction is not convincingly miniature.
- Fiber Art. Doweling for tapestry – think toothpick or skewer sized. Embroidery hoop that fits in the palm of your hand.
- Technique. Artwork should show an understanding of the chosen medium.
- Sculptures and 3 dimensional works need to be under 4” square.
- Portraits. The head and shoulders must not exceed 2” within the composition.
- Printmakers creating hand-pulled prints are welcome to enter limited edition runs of their work.
- Photography. Please use diorama illusion or a miniature pinhole camera.
- Works must be finished and exhibition worthy. Does the art stand up to the brutal eye of the magnifying glass? Under close observation, is it accomplished in composition, color, balance, and concept?
Please Include the following information on
the back of your work, clearly printed.
Online info (optional)
For further information, please contact Suzan at 250-746-7112 or email firstname.lastname@example.org