Call to Artists
2020 Vancouver Island Miniature Masterpiece Art Show
Excellent Frameworks – Home of the EJ Hughes Gallery
2020 marks our fourth annual art show featuring miniature works of art for Excellent Frameworks Gallery, located in downtown Duncan, B.C. The show was initially created to give artists an opportunity to challenge themselves with this technique in an accessible way as Excellent Frameworks provides the framing for each work of art. We will host the show during the month of November as we find this to be a celebratory season to not only gather artists, but also to increase sales for our artists. Last year we introduced a “People’s Choice Ribbon” as well as a “Best in Show Ribbon.”
1. One original work of art per artist created in the past year, not previously shown in the Cowichan Valley.
2. Works of art must be 2.25″ x 2.25″, preferable on a flat, smooth working surface such as matboard, hardboard, glass, aluminum….anything that will provide a surface suitable for creating minute details with your chosen medium. We personally find that canvas has a rough surface that does not suit miniature details, but we also trust that you are comfortable with your substrate and will choose whatever suits your style.
3. NEW this Year! All frames provided will be cut to 8″ x 8″ with a 3″ wide precut matboard, leaving a 2″ opening for your artwork (the matboard will slightly overlap your art, which is why we ask for art to be 2.25″ x 2.25″) Glazing and backing are provided. No size variations accepted.
4. We will not accept works that are not miniature in technique. (see below for more information)
Unaccepted works of art – artists will be notified by October 22nd via phone or email.
5. Commission of 50% will be deducted from sales. Payments will be issued by cheque in December available to be picked up in person or mailed. Please note that we have increased our commission this year to help reflect to cost of materials.
6. Works submitted must be for sale. No exceptions. Yes, we are firm on this one!
7. If you do not want your work marketed online, please specify this on the back of your piece with the label.
8. Youth Entries (under 16): Works can be 2″ x 2″, but can be up to 4″ x 4″. (matboard will be adjusted at Drop off)
Registering/ Frame Pickup In Person:
Registration and free frame pickup July 8 – 28th. (pending Covid-19 suggestions)
Art Drop off anytime in October before the 31st with the frame selected in July. Please note that we appreciate you assembling your artwork at your home in the framing provided. Ensure there is no dust behind the glass and no streaks or fingerprints visible. We will put on suitable backing and hanging wires on the back.
Artist Reception and Opening Saturday, November 7th 10am to 2pm.
Unsold works of art will be available for pickup in December. Works will be returned in the frame you chose (our gift to you).
Registering/Framing By Mail:
For our out-of-town artists, we ask that you trust that we will choose a suitable frame for your artwork. Please mail in your entry (2.25″ x 2.25″) and we will do all the assembly for you.
Registration, artwork, and prepaid return envelope mailed by October 1st to:
c/o Excellent Frameworks Gallery
115 Kenneth St. Duncan, B.C. V9L 1N5
Online images will be available of the works in the show the first week of November via Facebook and Instagram – follow us 🙂
If you wish to keep the framing provided by Excellent Frameworks, and your piece does not sell during the show, please contact the gallery at 250-746-7112 or email@example.com to provide extra fee for return shipping cost. Please note that we do not charge for the custom framing itself (our gift to you).
Final little details (ahem):
Miniature art is about application and scale. Even if the artwork is “small” it will not qualify if the subject is not painstakingly smaller than life or the abstraction is not convincingly miniature.
Fiber Art. Doweling for tapestry – think toothpick or skewer sized. Embroidery hoop that fits in the palm of your hand.
Portraits. The head and shoulders must not exceed 1” within the composition.
Printmakers creating hand-pulled prints are welcome to enter limited edition runs of their work.
Photography. Please use diorama illusion or a miniature pinhole camera.
Works must be finished and exhibition worthy. Does the art stand up to the brutal eye of the magnifying glass? Under close observation, is it accomplished in composition, color, balance, and concept?
Please Include the following information on
the back of your work, clearly printed.
Online info (optional)
Suggested websites to visit for miniature artwork online research: (please note that these artists are not directly involved with this art show, but are simply websites that contained information that you may find helpful)
https://tiffanyhastieart.com/ (ok, Tiffany is one of our artists)
For further information, please contact Suzan at 250-746-7112
or email firstname.lastname@example.org